Filipino Holiday Dessert
My Filipino macaroni fruit salad is my number 1 Holiday dessert! I made this holiday dessert for Ken back in December of 2014, his first Christmas in the Philippines. I will never forget how much he loved this salad. I know for him it was different but he loved it, and you certainly can never go wrong making one of these salads as your dessert.Jump to Recipe
Christmas is just around the corner and this is one dish that is normally present in every Filipino holiday festival. Traditionally, this is a Filipino-style dessert that is made of fruit cocktail, sweet plum nuts, and sweetened cream, and of course macaroni.
Macaroni Fruit Salad
This is not your typical fruit salad, it’s more dessert than a side dish. It is sweet, creamy, and heavenly. This is more popular in the southern areas such as Visayas and parts of Mindanao to be more specific.
How to Make Sweet Macaroni Salad
The making of Sweet Macaroni Salada is really pretty easy, in my opinion, more care and time should be taken in selecting ingredients than the actual procedure. The first step is to get the macaroni on to boil. Simply follow the directions on the macaroni package, remember you want the macaroni for this dish to be firm, so generally I use 7 minutes as a rule of thumb to start with. Once you are happy with the consistency of the macaroni discard the water and rinse the pasta with cold water.
The next step is mixing all of the ingredients together, and well that’s it. I notice being the fussy one, after I place it in the fridge I will taste it a couple of times, as there may be a need to add more mayonnaise or condensed milk, as you want to make sure it’s not too dry. But essential you are done! Enjoy…be sure to leave your comments below if you give the fantastic dessert a try, as well as all of our fantastic recipes!
The Most Delicious Filipino Holiday DessertCourse: Dessert
500g Elbow Macaroni
2.5 cups All-purpose Cream (Heavy Cream)
2 cups Condensed milk
1 cup Mayonnaise
1 cup Kaong, green
1 cup Kaong, Red
3 cups Fruit cocktail
1 cup Pineapple, bits
1 cup Cheese, cubes in tiny bits
- Cook macaroni according to instruction
- Drain kaong, Fruit cocktail, and pineapple bits water and set aside
- Mix in all-purpose cream, condensed milk, mayonnaise and cheese
- Mix everything well and over it
- Put it in the fridge for 3 hours before serving
- Kaong – is the Sugar Palm fruit. The scientific name is Arenga Pinnata. Which is a very common tree to see in a tropical country.
- Contains 90% of the water that gives you a sense of fullness after each consumption.
- 100 grams of intake per day can heal arthritis
- High fiber content, effective for treating constipation.